Early Grade Reading
The Early Grade Reading Assessment (EGRA) is an oral student assessment designed to measure the most basic foundation skills for literacy acquisition in the early grades: recognizing letters of the alphabet, reading simple words, understanding sentences and paragraphs, and listening with comprehension.
EdData II developed the EGRA methodology and has applied it in 11 countries and 19 languages. It has been adopted and used by other implementing partners in more than 30 other countries and more than 60 other languages. Data from EGRA have been used for feedback on teacher practice in rigorous but easy-to-understand ways. Many countries have shown an interest in using it as a springboard to improve reading, and have gone on to redesign their teacher training around reading.
FAQs about EGRA
- Briefs: A variety of 2-4 page briefs describing research and issues related to reading in specific countries, regions, or topic areas. See more...
- Instruments and Manuals: The EGRA instrument typically is adapted for use in a particular country and language. EdData II provides access to these customized versions of the assessment protocols and questionnaires. EdData II offers toolkits in multiple languages for implementing an EGRA and samples of teacher manuals for improved reading instruction. See more...
- Reports and Presentations: The results from early grade reading assessments conducted around the world by EdData II and other implementing partners are shared in final reports and presentations. See more ...
- Workshops: Several countries have gathered at workshops to share assessments findings and learn strategies for improving reading acquisition in the early grades. See more ...
LATEST IN ...
- EGRA and EGMA instruments (midterm), DFID PRIMR (English, Kiswahili, Lubukusu, Kikamba), Oct 2013
- USAID Primary Math and Reading (PRIMR) Initiative, EGRA, EGMA, SSME endline assessment tools, Oct 2013 (English and Kiswahili)
- EGRA and EGMA instruments (endline), DFID PRIMR, Kenya Oct 2014 (English, Kiswahili, Kikamba, Lubukusu)
- Primary Math and Reading (PRIMR) Initiative, Kisumu ICT program, endline assessment tools, Oct 2013
- See more ...